Wednesday, March 6, 2019

California Quail


Hello! A couple days ago I looked outside and saw a whole covey of quail in my yard (a covey is a group of quail).


 California quails are a common game bird to see in the northwest and are the state bird of California. They travel in groups and spend most of their time on the ground. The mostly forage in the morning and evening, and eat a wide variety of plants.


 Males are gray with a black head and brown wings. They have bold white stripes framing their face and a black and white scaled pattern on their chest.

Females are all brown with the same scale pattern on their chest. Males and females both have a plume of comma shaped feathers projecting from their head, but the female's is smaller.







 I love seeing quail in my yard and taking pictures of them. I hope you enjoyed this blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mountain Bluebirds & Raptors

        This weekend we went to Sunriver! It was a super fun weekend and I saw some cool birds!      On our way home we stopped by the paint...